Rooms filled with natural light and fresh air are more beautiful, spacious and uplifting to our spirits.
“With added natural light and ventilation from skylights, homeowners have attractive and effective tools to balance the light and improve ventilation in their homes,” says Joe Patrick, senior product manager with VELUX America.
Patrick offers tips on the product categories available, how to choose the right product, installation information and tips on energy efficiency.
• Skylights are used for overhead, out-of-reach applications or with in-reach applications where egress is not required. Available models include electric or manual venting, fixed with or without ventilation flap, and fixed for replacing faded plastic bubbles with clear, energy-efficient glass. There are also models specially designed to meet code for safe use in hurricane-prone areas as well as models with electrochromic glass that can be lightened or darkened by remote control and that don’t restrict the view to the sky.
• Roof windows are for in-reach applications offering egress as in finished attics.
• VELUX SUN TUNNEL™ skylights are useful when a view to the outside is not needed as with closets, laundry rooms, pantries, hallways and second baths.
How to Choose
• A complete selection of models, styles and sizes of the categories described are available. Just consider your ceiling style and roof pitch and whether your home is constructed with trusses or rafters.
• A complete selection is available to control the light including translucent or light block shades, Venetian blinds and exterior heat block awnings. Accessories, as well as electric skylights, can be operated by remote control.
• Energy-efficient tempered safety glass resists condensation, protects against fading and won’t discolor, leak, or allow drafts. Models with electrochromic glass that darkens by remote control to reduce light and solar gain without restricting the view to the sky are also available.
• Certified, local independent installers may be located by contacting your local Home Builders Association or through the product manufacturer.
• Save money on utility bills by selecting quality products meeting Energy Star® approval guidelines and rated by the National Fenestration Rating Council.
Solar Texas is a 5 Star Skylight Specialist and can assist you with your next VELUX quote.